Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hillsong Update: Apparently I Pissed Off an Aussie

In late July, I posted a story on an Australian organization that is in public schools (you can read it here). I'm assuming you didn't read it because no one commented on it... except one person. This person, I'm guessing an Aussie because they refer to me as 'Mate' at one point, is not happy with me. I read the comment just now and wanted to respond to the statement. You can read the full comment here. And, because I love a good disagreement, here's the whole thing:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are one very scared, nasty little man aren't you. What are you so scared of that you want to attack what Christians are trying to do or what we have that you don't, assurance that when we have eternal life it will be in heaven not hell. Look at society now, it is immoral, no, lets say ammoral, there are no moral boundaries, everything is acceptable, tolerated, celebrated. Society as a whole has fallen into such a pit that we have become numb to things the older generation would never have dreamed of doing.

Wake up. Do you know how many youth we have walking the streets at night becuase they don't want to be at home? how many children go to bed at night not knowing if they are loved or whether they have a purpose or self worth? All we as Christians want to do is show these children that they do have a purpose, that they were no accident, they have self worth etc etc. I see nothing wrong with girls being taught self grooming and personal hygiene, and how to have respect for themselves and that is is okay to say no to sex before marriage, not to conform to society.

Open your eyes mate, our children are lost, suffering, hurting, I honestly can't see how this is going to cause ANY harm, at least for a brief moment they might actually feel like someone cares for them and that they are alright.

This is exactly my heart, my passion and I am working hard to achieve it and get around our next generation, to get in at the foundational years before they screw their life up shacking up with the first boy who tells them that they "love them" and then before you know it we (as tax payers) are paying for them to have their baby, oh thats right, and then he takes off and we are now paying for a single mum. Isn't it better to get in at the foundational years and not wait until we are fixing the problem, isn't it better to be proactive instead of reactive?

August 23, 2008 7:29 AM



Okay, let's clear this up:


You are one very scared, nasty little man aren't you.


Firstly, I'm not scared. If I were scared I wouldn't have posted this... with my name on it.... Anonymous. (Get it?) Second, I am in fact 6'7" so little is a bad description. (I know you meant it in the mean, petty, trivial sense but I'm calling you out on the size issue as well.) Also, if you meant little as mean, then nasty doesn't really count, right? As for Nasty, I'm simply writing about something that I'm sure a lot of people can agree is pretty sinister (check the definition if you want to, I'm spot on) and if you don't agree, that doesn't make me Nasty, it just makes you petty.

What are you so scared of that you want to attack what Christians are trying to do or what we have that you don't, assurance that when we have eternal life it will be in heaven not hell.


Please stop phrasing your sentences as questions and not using a question mark. That's like me writing, "Why is it that you can't understand that if I don't believe in Heaven or Hell than I have nothing to be jealous of." See, doesn't read right. But seriously, not jealous. Can't be, if what you "have" isn't REAL. Oh, and what's your "assurance"? Your belief in the unfounded? The bible? I read The Lord of the Rings and I'm not waiting to meet Gandalf anytime soon.

Look at society now, it is immoral, no, lets say ammoral, there are no moral boundaries, everything is acceptable, tolerated, celebrated. Society as a whole has fallen into such a pit that we have become numb to things the older generation would never have dreamed of doing.


Hate to nit-pick, but the word is Amoral, just one M. ANYWAY... I find it interesting that you changed your mind on that. Are you saying that society simply doesn't recognize morality any longer, being as it has no standing in today's culture and that's why it is Amoral and not Immoral? Doesn't make sense. If we had once been moral and now are not, we would then be Immoral. I think you just like reading your own cleverness. Trust me, we can spot our own. As for your claim, let me say this:

I can't stand when people say that today's society, today's youth, today's culture, etc. just isn't what it used to be. BULLSHIT. You know why it isn't? Because we fucking MOVED ON. The only reason you may feel it was better "back then" is because you look at it through the lens of idealistic nostalgia. Do you want to go back to the more "moral" past? When would that be? During Biblical time when rape, murder, and general destruction reigned? (If you say that's an exaggeration, you need to READ your bible and not just swing it around at people's heads) Or maybe you would prefer a simpler time, say when slavery was in full swing? Good ol' days, right? The true moralistic era... at least for Massah'. Or maybe you would prefer the more moral period of segregation and the KKK? No? The 70's with LSD and Vietnam? Guess who else has said that society has fallen and it used to be better? EVERY OTHER GENERATION.

Wake up. Do you know how many youth we have walking the streets at night becuase they don't want to be at home? how many children go to bed at night not knowing if they are loved or whether they have a purpose or self worth? All we as Christians want to do is show these children that they do have a purpose, that they were no accident, they have self worth etc etc.

First, I'm awake. Second, allow me to answer your question with another; Are you kidding me? The fact is, bad things happen. I know it's a shock to hear, but they do. There will always be children who are in a bad situation and there will always be adults in the same. But, and here's the best part, there will always be people to help them if they can REGARDLESS of their religious affiliation. Sad kids are a fact of life. I don't like it, and I try to make a difference as I can. But to say that the Christians are the ones doing it is insulting to the rest of us.

Quick, name two things you did to help kids.

Okay, my turn. I recently raised a couple thousand dollars, gift certificates from grocery stores and clothing for a teen shelter in Maine with my fellow fraternity brothers. Second, when I was 19 and living in my first apartment, I took in a homeless kid and got him a job. He lived with us for almost a year and he was able to get back on his feet. I'm not Christian. I'm an Atheist. I want to help. I do help. I don't try to push a message or a value system on anyone. If you want to do good things for people, I applaud you. Just don't do it for recruitment's sake. (Please forgive my gloating on the whole "charitable acts" thing there)

I see nothing wrong with girls being taught self grooming and personal hygiene, and how to have respect for themselves and that is is okay to say no to sex before marriage, not to conform to society.


Apparently, you didn't read my post. If you did, you would have read about what IS wrong with the program. Oh, and self grooming? Are we headed back to the "Good ol' Days" again? Because it sounds like you're headed for some subjegatin'! Seriously, you seem to have forgotten everything about Women's Liberation, Gender Equality and Feminism. (I can't believe you're making me side with feminists)

Open your eyes mate, our children are lost, suffering, hurting, I honestly can't see how this is going to cause ANY harm, at least for a brief moment they might actually feel like someone cares for them and that they are alright.


Wow, lay it on thick. I thought you were going to ask me for a dollar a day. Honestly, I said it already, SOME kids have it bad and we should help them. Are you saying that ALL kids are having that experience? If you have children, are they having that experience? No. Even though we don't agree on this particular issue, I'm sure you would or are a caring and loving parent (aside from pushing religion on them). And the great thing is that most parents are the same way. We want what's best for our children. Unfortunately, some kids fall through the cracks of good parenting. These kids SHOULD have a system in place to care for them. But its not in a "grooming" class and you know it. No class room can love a child. And if you say that the class can bring the child to Christ, then you are letting your religion govern your charity and that's sad and selfish.

This is exactly my heart, my passion and I am working hard to achieve it and get around our next generation, to get in at the foundational years before they screw their life up shacking up with the first boy who tells them that they "love them" and then before you know it we (as tax payers) are paying for them to have their baby, oh thats right, and then he takes off and we are now paying for a single mum. Isn't it better to get in at the foundational years and not wait until we are fixing the problem, isn't it better to be proactive instead of reactive?

Your entire closing point is so closed minded, cliche and ignorant to the issue that I don't even need to respond. If helping children is your passion, then you need to find a better way to relate to them than vitriolic stereotyping. It's sad that some kids are in a bad situation, its sadder to think that you value your tax dollars more.

1 comment:

Mike Nak said...

Ray, I will be proud to call you my brother(-in-law)!


I hate completely transparent arguments... "what's wrong with brainwashing kids, you know, when they are young and impressionable, it's easier then, right!?"


Wake up people, Agnostics/Atheists are some of the most moral people out there (not because a religion told you to, but just because it is the right thing for society) and in many cases, do the more for this world (than, dare I say, most Christians will ever do).

STOP lumping us in with Satanists (or whatever)! WE'RE NOT GOING TO HELL (if that even exists)! We do NOT worship the Devil (/evil), we are not BAD people, we do not wish HARM on others... we JUST want to be left the FUCK alone. Your beliefs are just that "YOUR BELIEFS"! If there is a hell, and because I do not believe in YOUR God, I will burn in the "Lake of Fire"... why/how does that effect you and your life/eternal life? Most Conservatives want less government, less people/organizations telling them what to do, correct? Than WHY, do you feel the need to tell EVERYONE how they should live?

P.S. I"m pretty conservative (actually Libertarian - some would say the REAL conservatives, not these fake ASSHOLES, shaking their little, baby, religious dicks around - FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR BABBLING SPECIAL INTEREST CUNT {for those not up to speed, i'm talking about that crazy misfit of a politician, Palin}).

I think that sums it up.