Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Twelve Year Old Tells Us Abortion Is Wrong

What could be a more appropriate topic for a speech assignment is 7th grade? Maybe discussing Homo-Sin-Uality or Jesus being the ONLY path. (Notice the little slip of "Who knows them all by name).

I can't begin to figure out where to focus my diatribe:

Is it the viewpoint being expressed?

Is it the clearly obvious fact that this little girl didn't write this speech herself and at best is regurgitating what her parents are pounding in to her head like an abortionist's coat hanger?

Is it the fact that this was for a 7th grade class and if my child was subjected to this, I would be outraged?

Is it the facial expressions that border on Annie-like Broadway stage enthusiasm to the point that I almost picture this girl dressed as a fetus on a poorly built stage made to resemble a massive uterus while shouting, "TOMORROW, TOMORROW!"?

Is it the odd, bare background and shaky camera movement mixed with frequent religious undertones and reference notes that make me feel like I'm watching a lost Waco tape?

Is it the, let's face it, raping of Seuss' story?

Is it the overwhelmingly sour smugness that this girls voice and expression exude as she berates?

Is it her quoting a pro-life website's message board as an example in her persuasion as if it were, dare I say the words, gospel?

No, these things bother me, but the heart (half formed and unbeating) of the matter is this:

She's F'n Twelve!!!!!

How the hell am I supposed to take any amount of seriousness in a 12 year old's discourse on a matter as intricate and multi-faceted as The Godfather? You can't expect a twelve year old to comprehend the slightest notion of the film. It's sense of family ties, moral division, 30's - 60's era organized crime.... And that's just a fucking movie! If I can't expect a pre-teen to handle the complexities of a film, why on earth would I turn to one on something like abortion?

I have never once stopped and thought to myself, "My personal standings on a difficult issue are decidedly obtuse. I know, I'll ask someone who still believes in Santa!"

I guess I can take solace in the fact that her argument is at just about the appropriate age level. (I.E. it's childish and crude)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate this girls parents. Stop filling your children's mind with your views !!!!!!!!!